Monday, December 13, 2010

The question is, does it match the drapes?

Woo hoo!  Looks like we can stick a fork in the carpet and call it done!  It looks sweet too.  Chris, who you will recall helped with the pedestal upholder, came over and lent his expertise to carpeting the base.  The results are fantastic, especially considering that I didn't order quite enough carpet - but we managed to get some stretch in some of the places and we just barely got it to work.  For the record the carpet is, so far at least, the only thing I haven't ordered enough of, and next time I do something like this I believe I will over order.

We used speaker cabinet carpet, the kind with the thick backing.  The collective wisdom of the internet say's the backed kind can be more difficult to work with, but it is more durable.  Since this was essentially a foot rest I figured durability was the way to go.  The carpet is pretty stiff but we were able to bend it around some very tight turns without any problems, so I think anyone else following along here could use the same.  I ordered mine from parts express - the carpet arrived folded instead of rolled so I let it sit out on the ground to get some of the creases out.  The edge of the carpet looks like it was cut from the roll by hand and was kind of crappy looking, but I wasn't planning on using right up until the edge anyhow.

The carpet we fixed down with the 3M #77 Spray adhesive and staples.  I got some great tips on hiding the seams from this you tube video and I gotta say their advice contributed heavily to the high quality finish on my base.



Cutting the rug as they say

Measure twice cut one, we needed to measure three times maybe :) 

Like a black fuzzy toilet seat

Lookin good

Needs cleaned, but still sharp

Can you spot the seams?  There are two in this picture

From the inside

Again

Seam on this side - on the left front

Two seams here - 1 on the top, the other on the side

Can't see the seam here either.

Lest I be accused of being misogynistic with my headline puns and Amazon selling, I'm including mens grooming products here too.  So the ladies can calm down and crack window dressing jokes too.  Yup something for everyone!   Even have some wax for those who don't want any carpet on their floor -  Is there a tag for a <crash cymbal> ?  There should be.  Anyhoo - Try the veal, I'm here till Tuesday.

No comments:

Post a Comment