Monday, November 1, 2010

Remember Vinyl is Expensive

The padded rail is a wrap! Took it over to my Mom's house to make use of her huge table to work on. Thanks Mom! All in all pretty happy with how it came out - it came out great for a first attempt, but I'm certain I could do an even better job it the next go round. Read all the stuff on rails floating around the internet, and got some good advice from a coworker who's father does upholstery (Thanks Mr. A!)

Here are the pics of it coming togethor, started at the outside and worked my way around in small sections. I pulled the vinyl tight and my mom stapled it down - electric stapler from stanley for sale down below :) It was a life saver!

Here the foam is being glued to the top of the rail, there is sufficient overlap to wrap around to the base.  Oh and Mom said to ignore the laundry room in the pic.

More of the gluing.  That there us the 3M #77 Spray adhesive. 

You can see how I jointed the foam

I put down newspaper so the arm rest wouldn't pee all over the table.

More foam and glue

Before warping the vinyl around

Wrapped and needing a trim

Like a car wash eh?

Why in the hell did I take three pictures of this needing a trim?

Scratch that... 4 Pictures.  HA HA HA I love counting pictures.

Here it is finished.

Finished pic from the back


Look it's that electric staple gun that saved me so much time! I bet you'd like to have one too! Click the buy link and get your own, it's great for stapling things like vinyl to the padded arm rest or notes to your self so you wont forget the milk.

What good is a staple gun without staples? I got the 3/8" ones cause that was the right depth for me, and they are short enough that unless I staple something to my hand I don't have to worry about hitting bone. (Cm'on it's halloween!)

No comments:

Post a Comment