Friday, October 1, 2010

On the shoulders of giants

For those of you who don't know me - my name is Brian and I love blackjack.  So one day I am minding my own business surfing around the old interwebs and I happened across Landchark's build your own Blackjack Table posts on his blog.  WOW!  A Blackjack table of my very own?  WANT!  So I start to get excited at the possibilities, I could actually build one of these things.    Next thing you know I'm online and ordering everything I need to make a super authentic table, I'm sketching out plans to build by, I'm buying tools from Home Depot, and to document the process I am starting this blog.

Now I've never built a thing out of wood before, which is odd that somehow I never once had to make a birdhouse as part of my childhood.  I'm hoping that even with no experience that I can rely on my friends and that with their help I can produce something slightly better than Charlie Brown's Christmas tree.  So I've scoured the old tubes here to turn up some of the better resources for building my own blackjack table.

Inspiration!
Now to get the ball rolling, I'd like to recognize and thank the folks who have inspired me to try this.

First and foremost are Landchark and his awesome Blackjack Table -  it was his post and his too cool for words basement, the K2 Lounge that started this craze for me.  Make sure and check out his Craps table and the rest of his sweet basement.

Next up is Assistant Professor of Economics P.J. Healy who posted a guild and links to his own Blackjack Table.  P.J. provides tons of great information, especially on making padded rails, plus he links to many other peoples projects as well.  P.J.'s resources made me believe I could do it too.

Some other tables and plans I've benefited from are Game Of 21's build, and the aptly named buildyourownblackjacktables.com, as well as BlackJack Table Supplies plans.

In my next post I will preview my design and explain what I hope to achieve with my build.  I'll also discuss what I have bought so far and take the opportunity to recognize some of the fantastic people and vendors I have been purchasing from.  I can't tell you how excited I am at beginning to do the build itself next week.

Hit me!
\Brian

No comments:

Post a Comment