Monday, October 4, 2010

Splitting Aces

With so many differing table designs and so many different approaches to building I have spent more than a little bit of time thinking about what exactly I want from my table.  Most of my house has a craftsman or mission vibe to it, but my rec room where the table will live is a bit more eclectic.  Picture tan and leather colored walls, contemporary sectional seating, a framed scene from the original War of the Worlds, a restored vintage velvet Elvis (rescued from the side of the road), a print of The Beatles at Abbey road, and photos of Frank, Sammy and Dean at the Sands.  Add to that a collection of video game toys and you have my shrine to cool from the 40's to today.   I guess you could call it eclectic meets man cave with a dash or two of never grow up thrown in for good measure.

So first and foremost on top of just having a blackjack table, which is cool by itself, I want my table to reflect a visual sense of cool too.  I'm thinking Art Deco overtones like black lacquer trim with some geometric wood panels overlaying moleskin upholstery.

Attribute wise many of the table plans out there utilize folding legs, or leg solutions that make portability a snap.  Since my table is going to stay where it is at, at least for the foreseeable future so I think I want a more furniture like base. I also want to shoot for the highest degree of accuracy I can with all of the appropriate accessories like a toke box, a no peek device, locking chip tray, etc.

I'm still waffelling a bit on the height and I have yet to settle on table, counter, or bar height - but right now bar height seems like the winner.

No comments:

Post a Comment